Create Your Own CLEAN-NGSS Unit Overview
What are the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)?
The NGSS three-dimensional instructional model challenges science educators to rethink our lesson and unit planning process by the inclusion of the Science and Engineering Practices (SEPs), Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCIs), and Crosscutting Concepts (CCCs), as they bundle Performance Expectations (PEs).
Why use CLEAN to teach about climate science and energy?
- The Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness Network (CLEAN) collection is a peer-reviewed, comprehensive source of high-quality, NGSS-aligned educational resources for grades K-16.
- Educators can quickly and easily search the CLEAN collection by the NGSS at-a-glance matrix or topics, grade level, and resource type.
How can CLEAN be used to create NGSS-aligned units?
- Choose the PE, or bundle of PEs, that meet your grade-level and discipline curricula requirements.
- Identify the specific DCIs, SEPs, and CCCs that "unpack" the selected PE(s) to develop a coherent storyline for your unit.
- Select NGSS-aligned resources from the CLEAN collection to build out the lesson activities in order to meet the learning objectives.
How do I plan units using CLEAN and NGSS?