Overview: Create Your Own Climate and Energy Units
Why use CLEAN to teach about climate and energy?
- The Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness Network (CLEAN) collection is a peer-reviewed source of over 700 high-quality and NGSS-aligned climate and energy educational resources for grades K-16.
- Educators can quickly and easily search the CLEAN collection by grade level, resource type, and the NGSS at-a-glance matrix or topics.
What are the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)?
The NGSS three-dimensional instructional model challenges science educators to rethink our lesson and unit planning process by the inclusion of Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCIs), Science and Engineering Practices (SEPs), and Crosscutting Concepts (CCCs), as they bundle Performance Expectations (PEs).
How can CLEAN be used to create three-dimensional learning units?
- Identify your grade level and curriculum learning objectives.
- Choose the PE (standard), or bundle of PEs (standards) that address the learning objectives.
- Develop a unit storyline by identifying the DCIs (content), SEPs (skills), and CCCs (connections) that "unpack" the selected PE(s) or standard(s).
- Select CLEAN educational resources for lesson activities that build towards the learning objectives.
How do I plan climate and energy units using CLEAN and NGSS?
Developers: Cheryl Manning and Jennifer Taylor