Changing Planet: Black Carbon
NBC Learn, Windows to the Universe
Video length: 6:07 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
See how this Video supports the Next Generation Science Standards»
Middle School: 2 Disciplinary Core Ideas
High School: 3 Disciplinary Core Ideas
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Having students study the health consequences of breathing black carbon from stoves or other sources could be a worthwhile add-on to a discussion of the production and impact of black carbon.
- Researching impacts of black carbon and whether or not these impacts are occurring in the students' region of the country could also be worthwhile. For example, monitoring towers are in place for gathering data on changes in snow albedo in Grand Mesa in Colorado.
About the Science
- The resource reviews emissions of black carbon and its contribution to climate change and public health concerns through the work of Dr. "Ram" V. Ramanathan of Scripps Institute of Oceanography.
- From unmanned vehicles to measure black carbon in the atmosphere to the consequence of black carbon on snow (decreasing the albedo effect of snow-covered mountains and contributing to early snowmelt), the video covers black carbon's various causes and consequences.
- The video describes efforts to reduce both environmental and health impacts of black carbon by developing and distributing cook stoves to communities in rural India.
- Comments from expert scientist: The video describes the well-known health and climate impacts of black carbon in an accurate but general manner. I feel this video acted more as an outreach tool rather than being a simple, but yet scientific piece demonstrating the effects.
About the Pedagogy
- This video covers an important piece of the climate change issue that is not often presented. It is important to provide appropriate context for this material.
- A related activity is available from Windows to the Universe: Changing Planet - Black Carbon
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Excellent visuals accompany narration.
- An alternate URL for this video is http://www.nbclearn.com/changingplanet/cuecard/52513. This version has a transcript, but it is a bit hard to find the video on the page of all the other videos.