The Ecology of Climate Change
American Museum of Natural History
Video length: 8:07 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
See how this Video supports the Next Generation Science Standards»
Middle School: 6 Disciplinary Core Ideas, 1 Cross Cutting Concept
High School: 8 Disciplinary Core Ideas, 1 Cross Cutting Concept
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- The science findings described in the film, particularly the release of large amount of carbon into the atmosphere as permafrost thaws, may be overwhelming to some learners. As with many aspects of global change, educators should consider how to help students process the information.
- Prior knowledge of the carbon cycle, photosynthesis, and respiration would be beneficial to viewers.
About the Science
- Video examines research being conducted on climate change in the boreal forests. Thawing permafrost, carbon sinks, and feedbacks are discussed.
- Examines the impact of wildfires on boreal forests and the resulting shift from coniferous forests to deciduous forests, the latter acting as a larger carbon sink with increased biomass production and increased albedo.
- Video notes the need to couple this emerging knowledge, such as knowledge about permafrost thaw, into climate models.
- Comments from expert scientist: This is a beautifully made movie. However, the information is passed on very quickly. This movie has beautiful footage and is very good in showing the methods of measuring aspects important for future climate change.
About the Pedagogy
- A classroom discussion activity and an article accompany the video.
- Shows scientists in the field and in vignettes explaining the science.
- A variety of data collection methods are shown.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Good embedded graphic visualization of coniferous boreal forests changing to deciduous forests.
- The Ecology of Climate Change can be viewed in low, medium, or high resolution.
- Auditory impaired text scroll on bottom during video helps to track storyline.