Climate Change and Risks of New Pandemics
This activity takes approximately 2 hoursLearn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
This Activity builds on the following concepts of Climate Literacy.
Click a topic below for supporting information, teaching ideas, and sample activities.
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Review the learning outcomes for this lesson and decide where it could naturally fit into a course.
- The authors layout a clear pathway for implementation of this lesson, and it could be flexibly integrated into any undergraduate biology, ecology, or environmental science course.
About the Science
- This lesson delves into the underlying factors that contribute to pandemics, including habitat destruction and climate change shifts in biodiversity as causes for zoonotic transmission of infectious diseases.
- Students are presented with scholarly research to form the background needed before they research shifts in species over time.
- Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
About the Pedagogy
- Although this lesson lacks assessment strategies and explicitly shows student engagement as the driver of learning, the content of the lesson will engage students.
- The resource is supported by: a step by step user guide, learning outcomes, questions/assignments, and more.
- The teachers should familiarize themselves with the activity (this will take some time downloading content, etc).
- The lesson is clearly outlined in a step-by-step user guide, that uses a series of three increasingly complex readings to introduce the topic and provides substantive background for completing the big data analysis activity.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- The embedded data analysis activity requires students to query a data portal which may appear to be challenging, but a step-by-step guide is provided for doing so.
Entered the Collection: November 2021 Last Reviewed: July 2021