Environmental Protection Agency
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
This Static Visualization builds on the following concepts of Climate Literacy.
Click a topic below for supporting information, teaching ideas, and sample activities.
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- The website houses concise summaries on trends in temperature, precipitation, storms, floods, and droughts and are linked with associated graphs and data that can viewed online and downloaded.
- It would be beneficial to develop learning activities around the visualization to facilitate student learning.
- Good resource, but does not include structure for guided learning within a classroom setting.
About the Content
- This resource focuses on observed changes in temperature across the US and the world. Rising global average temperature is associated with widespread changes in weather patterns. Scientific studies indicate that extreme weather events such as heat waves and large storms are likely to become more frequent or more intense with human-induced climate change. The larger collection includes climate change indicators within the oceans, snow and ice, and other ecosystems and the effects on humans and our society.
- Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
About the Pedagogy
- This resource from the EPA is a useful compendium that explains and illustrates the relationship between climate change and weather through observed data. This page focuses on US and Global Temperature trends.
- The collection of pages provides a detailed view on many different climate variables. It would be a good resource to use for examining how these variables have changed over time and how they are impacting climate and weather.
- The static visuals are varied and easy to read and understand.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Very easy to access and view online. Website also provides PDFs of all graphs and information for downloading.