NOVA scienceNOW, Teachers' Domain
Video length: 2:02 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Video can be coupled with lesson, Future of the Cryosphere to maximize its learning potential.
About the Science
- Tropical ice cores contain information relating to tropical climate phenomena, including El Niño events and monsoons, which are not recorded in ice from polar regions.
- Comments from expert scientist: Addresses basic paleoclimatological concepts. Notes the importance of tropical ice cores. Reviews important paleoclimate proxies, and how proxies are used to estimate past climate characteristics. All together, a very nice resource. Oxygen isotopes are mentioned twice, and both mentions do not clarify that the isotopes can be used only to "estimate" temperature, not "determine" temperature.
About the Pedagogy
- Activities and related resources provided to help students better understand the science.
- Uses a lot of higher-level terminology that may need to be defined.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Use the downloaded version of the video for best resolution; online version is not sufficient for projection.