Changing Planet: Lake Temperatures
Windows to the Universe/NBC Learn, National Earth Science Teachers Association (NESTA)
Video length: 5:13 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
This Video builds on the following concepts of Climate Literacy.
Click a topic below for supporting information, teaching ideas, and sample activities.
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
About the Science
- The video describes how atmospheric warming is contributing to lake warming. The results of this warming is water stratification, which impacts the food chain and water mixing.
- Researchers use buoys to collect data such as wind speed, air and water temperature, and cloud cover.
- Comments from expert scientist: Accurate information, qualified by appropriate disclaimers in most cases. Could have clearer identification of assumptions and other limiting factors or uncertainties.
About the Pedagogy
- The vocabulary and conceptual level of the content is high with technical terms like stratification and upwelling.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- The video is one of many on the page; scroll down to find it. Alternatively, you can view the video on its own page here: http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbc-learn/41950741/#41950741
- The video is high quality and easy to use.
- A transcript is available, providing another avenue to access the content.
Entered the Collection: February 2013 Last Reviewed: October 2016