PETM: Unearthing Ancient Climate Change
American Museum Natural History
Video length: 8:11 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
See how this Video supports the Next Generation Science Standards»
Middle School: 4 Disciplinary Core Ideas
High School: 10 Disciplinary Core Ideas
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- This topic shows the linkage between past climate events and our current one. The PETM is an area of vigorous scientific research and shows how climate science uses Earth's past to understand Earth's future.
About the Science
- This video illustrates how a team of paleontologists and geochemists do field research to determine changes in climate and biota during the PETM.
- Comments from expert scientist: The video provides a clear and concise view of the way the earth scientists explore past climate change. The topic explored in this resource is relevant. Since the PETM is an analog for modern warming, it captures the viewer's attention and provides a nice example of one approach to projecting future changes on the planet.
About the Pedagogy
- A supporting article is here: http://www.amnh.org/sciencebulletins/content/e.f.PETM.20081126/resources/601/
- It may be helpful to provide students with the questions from the classroom discussion activity pdf (http://www.amnh.org/sciencebulletins/content/e.f.PETM.20081126/resources/643/classroom_PETM.pdf) prior to watching the video to guide their note-taking. This discussion guide has answers as well.