National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS)
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Educators may need to discuss the nature of the Palmer Drought Index if students are going to analyze maps.
- Resource best used within the context of exploring a specific problem or issue with regard to drought.
About the Science
- This is a section of the National Integrated Drought Information System website that provides maps, data and tools for accessing information on a variety of topics (current conditions, outlooks and forecasts, paleoclimate) related to drought.
- All data is updated every month and 3- and 6-month predictions are supplied for every region in the US.
- Comments from expert scientist:
- Provides a plethora of data, graphics and information for most aspects of climate change from paleoclimate to the affects on agriculture to soil moisture
- Wide variety of temporal and spatial data options
About the Pedagogy
- A comprehensive collection of maps, data, and tools for students to use in examining drought and its effects in their region and state.
- Not designed as a learning tool but rather a comprehensive source of information regarding drought. Basic directions provided for navigating the various topics presented in the site.
- This resource engages students in using scientific data.
See other data-rich activities