NOAA Office for Coastal Management, NOAA
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Teacher should become familiar with the tool before using it in the classroom.
- Creating an activity that uses tool would be beneficial to guide student learning about sea level.
- Story maps are included as an additional tool on the visualization homepage.
About the Content
- This web mapping tool visualizes community-level impacts from coastal flooding or sea level rise (up to 6 feet above average high tides). Photo simulations of how future flooding might impact local landmarks are also provided, as well as data related to water depth, connectivity, flood frequency, socio-economic vulnerability, wetland loss and migration, and mapping confidence.
- Features of this tool: Visualize potential impacts from sea level rise through maps and photos; Learn about data and methods through documentation; Share maps and links via email and social media
- Comments from expert scientist:
- This visualization tool allows the user to see potential impacts from sea level rise through maps and photos on a community level
- Provides federal, state, and local coastal resource managers and planners with a preliminary look at sea level rise and coastal flooding impacts
- Mapping methods include: Sea Level Rise Inundation, Inundation Uncertainty, Marsh Migration Due to Sea Level Rise, Social Vulnerability Index, Coastal Flood Frequency
- Additional links to related data, tools, stories and training with regards to the tool
- Easy to navigate
Should be noted that the tool only encapsulates the United States and U.S. territories.
About the Pedagogy
- This tool provides global digital visual information about current and future estimations (to the year 2100) to enhance learning about sea level change. Specific visualizations, with background information provided, include: Sea level rise; Local scenarios; Mapping confidence; Marsh mitigation; Vulnerability; Flood frequency.
- This visualization would provide a method for students to investigate the impacts of sea level rise. Although it does not include specific lesson plans or teaching tools, this tool would enhance a lesson or unit where students can explore multiple datasets over many years. They also have a "local scenarios" feature that would help students develop plans for areas that will be impacted by future flooding.
- This resource engages students in using scientific data.
See other data-rich activities
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- The tool is intuitive to use and a short video (45 sec) and FAQ about the tool are provided. A tutorial for using the "local scenarios" section is also provided.
- Pre-made data sets for select counties can be downloaded and visualizations can be shared through multiple social media formats.