Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
See how this Simulation/Interactive supports the Next Generation Science Standards»
Middle School: 1 Disciplinary Core Idea, 2 Science and Engineering Practices
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Graphic can be used to teach a number of concepts in meteorology and severe storms.
- Go through the wind speed key at the bottom of the graphic.
- Could be used in a weather unit as a dynamic visualization to demonstrate the interconnections among wind energy, Coriolis force, pressure, temperature, and precipitation.
- The animation would be particularly interesting to watch during a major storm, such as a hurricane or cyclone.
About the Science
- This is a beautifully designed, animated map that displays multiple weather conditions for locations all over the world using a model provided by the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts.
- Several different meteorological data can be displayed via a visual menu. The animation invites in-depth exploration.
Comments from expert scientist:
This resource is great. It's an extraordinary tool for visualizing several meteorological quantities, with a really good interface. I can imagine several different educational applications for this.
About the Pedagogy
- Definitely has the "WOW' factor for students.
- This sophisticated visualization can be used to show various weather features as well as to analyze the formation and dynamics of severe storms.
- Each variable has a color-coded range band index (such as wind speed, rain or snowfall, temperature, etc). Optional overlays are provided.
- Wind speed and direction is the default display.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Stunning visual display. Visual quality and graphics are excellent.
- There is also an app available for download that is also very well developed, so this can be viewed on a mobile device.
- Data is updated in intervals of 6 hours to 5 days depending on the source.
Related URLs These related sites were noted by our reviewers but have not been reviewed by CLEANhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3gxLv5psp4 - tutorial describing features of this animation) http://geoawesomeness.com/windyty-weather-forecast-map-reinvented/ - a review of this animation
Next Generation Science Standards See how this Simulation/Interactive supports:
Disciplinary Core Ideas: 1
MS-ESS2.D1:Weather and climate are influenced by interactions involving sunlight, the ocean, the atmosphere, ice, landforms, and living things. These interactions vary with latitude, altitude, and local and regional geography, all of which can affect oceanic and atmospheric flow patterns.
Science and Engineering Practices: 2
MS-P4.1:Construct, analyze, and/or interpret graphical displays of data and/or large data sets to identify linear and nonlinear relationships.
MS-P4.4:Analyze and interpret data to provide evidence for phenomena.