Energy Choices and Climate Change
Windows to the Universe, NCAR Online Education
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
See how this Simulation/Interactive supports the Next Generation Science Standards»
Middle School: 1 Disciplinary Core Idea, 2 Cross Cutting Concepts
High School: 1 Disciplinary Core Idea, 4 Cross Cutting Concepts
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Educators could produce an activity sheet that addresses reasons and justifications for the students' choices in each section, as well as learning from the side-bar information on the right sides of the screens.
- Could also work as a homework assignment.
About the Science
- In the scenario provided, students make decisions about the types and amount of energy used and see what effect their decisions have on the amount of greenhouse gases emitted to the atmosphere. The goal is to reduce the greenhouse gases emissions while keeping costs reasonable.
- Comment from expert scientist: Good tool with the only caveat that it doesn't include all attributions.
About the Pedagogy
- A great activity for applying science learning to real life and everyday choices.