CO2 & the Atmosphere
Geoff Haines-Stiles Productions, Earth: The Operators' Manual
Video length: 9:04 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
This Video builds on the following concepts of Climate Literacy.
Click a topic below for supporting information, teaching ideas, and sample activities.
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- This video helps link past climates and the carbon cycle.
- Teacher may wish to make a study guide/question sheet for the video to keep students engaged in the video throughout the nine minutes.
About the Science
- Linking military research on the heat-trapping qualities of carbon dioxide from over 50 years ago demonstrates the multiple lines of evidence for the role of CO2 in Earth's climate system.
- Animations are used to describe Milankovitch cycles and the ice ages. Finally, the video shows how glaciers act as bulldozers to create moraines that indicate past termini and animations of glacier retreat that result in icebergs, lake formation, etc.
- The video demonstrates, through the history of the Franz Josef Glacier in New Zealand, that cyclic orbital variations or other "natural variability" alone cannot account for warming in recent decades.
- The video shows how glaciers can be used to study past climate, allowing scientists to study past atmospheric composition, precipitation amounts, and temperatures.
- Comment from Expert Scientist: This is a nice video that shows how scientists are using glaciers and ancient air trapped in those glaciers to understand the Earth's climate history. The narration is easy to follow and is well supported by the images.
About the Pedagogy
- An annotated script is available at: http://earththeoperatorsmanual.com/annotated_script/lightbox2.html