National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
Video length: 2:47 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
This Video builds on the following concepts of Energy Literacy.
Click a topic below for supporting information, teaching ideas, and sample activities.
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- More information is given at http://www1.eere.energy.gov/geothermal/.
- Because this has a residential focus, teachers should discuss the capital cost of geothermal systems as they are expensive to install (Capital Cost of $20k - $35k) and costs vary depending on location/ease of drilling.
- The video only addresses the lower operating costs of a geothermal heat pump. Cost estimator link: http://www.geosunnrg.com/geothermal-cost-estimator/index.cfm?step1
About the Science
- This video shows how geothermal heat pumps extract clean, reliable, renewable energy using the heat from beneath Earth's surface.
- Such heat pumps can assist in minimizing the amount of energy required for heating or cooling buildings.
- Comments from expert scientist: Very simple scientific video presentation of this remarkable renewable technology that should be used by more people.