Public Broadcasting Service
This activity takes approximately one 30 minute class periodLearn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
About the Science
- This interactive game lets students move around in a virtual environment to explore different types of land and water formations (ie. river, hill, lake, valley, island, mountain, volcano, plateau).
- They collect trash along the way as an added incentive and earn a badge by doing so.
- Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
About the Pedagogy
- Elementary students learn about specific landforms and bodies of water by watching an animated video of both realistic ground and aerial-view images.
- The goal of picking up trash encourages kids to follow the trash to the next checkpoint.
- The photos at each objective help build vocabulary and put real photos of land features in focus.
- There is a birds-eye-view map at the top that students will reference to find checkpoints.
- The videos are relatable for young audiences and help build understanding in another way.
- There is no teacher's guide, but the tutorial, in the beginning, should be enough for most students to be able to make their way through the game.
- Students who struggle with basic computer controls/skills or with poor hand-eye coordination may have trouble completing this activity.
- It can be frustrating for younger kids so this activity is recommended for ages 7+ (2nd graders).
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- This is a high quality interactive, engaging, educational simulation.
- Unless you log out it is difficult to skip ahead or return to the beginning of the game.
- It can be shared to Google Classroom and full screen in Chrome or Firefox.
- There is a free app that is available.