United Nations Climate Change Secretariat on behalf of the UNFCCC's Adaptation Committee
Video length: 19:34Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
See how this Video supports the Next Generation Science Standards»
Middle School: 1 Disciplinary Core Idea
High School: 3 Disciplinary Core Ideas
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing GPf
Other materials addressing GPg
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Video is nearly 20 minutes long, although it can be stopped at 15:30, but the content is excellent. The examples of communities planning and implementing adaptation strategies are varied and show diverse cultures and activities.
About the Science
- Video features the input of the IPCC Adaptation Committee (2010 and 2014) and the work of different countries in developing and implementing adaptation strategies to address impacts of climate change, particularly flooding.
Comments from expert scientist:
- Explains vast complications associated with climate change including extreme weather occurrences
- 2 pillars to the global climate change convention: mitigation (bring CO2 levels down) and adaptation (change consumption and production patterns that are no longer sustainable)
- Explains political movements working to combat climate change
- Adaptation is assessed on a local, family and community level
About the Pedagogy
- The video covers an important topic that does not receive a lot of attention.
- Gives good examples of adaptation strategies and what is required to implement them.
- Many of the examples shown in video feature the adaptation efforts of developing nations.
- The most engaging parts of the videos show people in various cultures. Educators may want to preview the video to show the most relevant portions rather than the full video.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Excellent visual quality.
- Can be downloaded from https://goo.gl/tiLGUU.
- The video is available in nine languages and could be used in language or social studies classes.
Next Generation Science Standards See how this Video supports:
Disciplinary Core Ideas: 1
MS-ESS3.D1:Human activities, such as the release of greenhouse gases from burning fossil fuels, are major factors in the current rise in Earth’s mean surface temperature (global warming). Reducing the level of climate change and reducing human vulnerability to whatever climate changes do occur depend on the understanding of climate science, engineering capabilities, and other kinds of knowledge, such as understanding of human behavior and on applying that knowledge wisely in decisions and activities.
Disciplinary Core Ideas: 3
HS-ESS3.A1:Resource availability has guided the development of human society.
HS-ESS3.C1:The sustainability of human societies and the biodiversity that supports them requires responsible management of natural resources.
HS-ESS3.D1:Though the magnitudes of human impacts are greater than they have ever been, so too are human abilities to model, predict, and manage current and future impacts.