Adapting to a Changing Climate
United Nations Climate Change Secretariat on behalf of the UNFCCC's Adaptation Committee
Video length: 19:34Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
This Video builds on the following concepts of Climate Literacy.
Click a topic below for supporting information, teaching ideas, and sample activities.
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Video is nearly 20 minutes long, although it can be stopped at 15:30, but the content is excellent. The examples of communities planning and implementing adaptation strategies are varied and show diverse cultures and activities.
About the Science
- Video features the input of the IPCC Adaptation Committee (2010 and 2014) and the work of different countries in developing and implementing adaptation strategies to address impacts of climate change, particularly flooding.
Comments from expert scientist:
- Explains vast complications associated with climate change including extreme weather occurrences
- 2 pillars to the global climate change convention: mitigation (bring CO2 levels down) and adaptation (change consumption and production patterns that are no longer sustainable)
- Explains political movements working to combat climate change
- Adaptation is assessed on a local, family and community level
About the Pedagogy
- The video covers an important topic that does not receive a lot of attention.
- Gives good examples of adaptation strategies and what is required to implement them.
- Many of the examples shown in video feature the adaptation efforts of developing nations.
- The most engaging parts of the videos show people in various cultures. Educators may want to preview the video to show the most relevant portions rather than the full video.
Entered the Collection: October 2018 Last Reviewed: April 2017
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Excellent visual quality.
- Can be downloaded from https://goo.gl/tiLGUU.
- The video is available in nine languages and could be used in language or social studies classes.