PINEMAP Project, University of Florida, Project Learning Tree
Two 45-minute class periodsLearn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
9 -12, modifiable for 7 - 8 but may be a reach for 6th graders.
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Be sure to watch the "Tour the Activity" video before you begin.
- View the Teacher Comments at the bottom of the Activity 1 home page http://sfrc.ufl.edu/extension/ee/climate/section1/activity1/.
About the Content
- This activity uses a systems approach in providing an overview of the connections between forests and climate.
- Produced by Climate Learning Tree/University of Florida with materials from the US Forest Service.
Comments from expert scientist:
- great introductory lesson on climate change and forests for more science-specific activities
- the science bolded words are excellent vocabulary words!
- timeline stepping / graphing is a great tool
- CO2 concentrations should be updated to reflect current years (the resource lists data from 2013) CO2 is up to 410 ppm! http://www.climatecentral.org/news/we-just-breached-the-410-parts-per-million-threshold-21372
About the Pedagogy
- Alternate assessment strategies are supplied for teachers.
- On the home page, http://sfrc.ufl.edu/extension/ee/climate/section1/activity1/ there are three important teacher tools: A video "Tour of the Activity" that lays out objectives and tells instructors exactly what students will be doing and identifies videos or other media that teachers should review, a Check Your Knowledge--Interactive Quiz for educators, and Systems Exercises that can be incorporated.
- Students assemble a timeline - including both scientific events and policy events - of the history of climate change science, and preview a video on the US Forest Service response to climate change.
- "Systems Reflections" after each section of the lab tie student results to systems thinking and analysis.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Comprehensive set of teacher materials include answer keys with teacher tips embedded along the way.
- Video is a good addition to the lab materials.