Rebuild by Design Task Force, An Initiative of the President's Hurricane Sandy Rebuild
Video length is 7:02 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Presents a real-world example of using an interdisciplinary approach to solutions to the effects of Superstorm Sandy and predicted future climate change.
- Teachers and students could use this video to develop powerful essential questions and investigations. For example, students can take on roles of stakeholders and evaluate the top proposals in a mock scenario.
- Note that the original video and project (described here) date from 2015; the current state of each of the funded projects is presented on this website Rebuild By Design 2 years Later http://www.rebuildbydesign.org/resources/videos.
About the Content
- Rebuild by Design began as a competition seeking to address the structural and social vulnerabilities exposed by Superstorm Sandy by proposing innovative and implementable large-scale, design-driven infrastructure solutions.
- Presents solutions to the effects of climate change as interdisciplinary, using science and local knowledge to build resilience.
- Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
About the Pedagogy
- The video discusses the importance of incorporating the local knowledge of vulnerable communities into solutions.
- Lacks teacher guide for a guided discussion or further questions.