PBS News Hour
Video length is 10:31 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- There is another CLEAN resource on this story, Green Roofs of Chicago, that includes this video, an infographic, and more background reading on the topic of urban heat island effect.
- A good video to connect global warming to urban heat island phenomena and the serious health implications for urban inhabitants.
About the Content
- This video discusses strategies that Chicago is using to ameliorate the urban heat island effect that has been increasing since 1945. Building green roofs is one strategy currently being implemented as part of Chicago's green design makeover.
- Comments from expert scientist: It shows what is often referred to as a demonstration project, where they are testing the impacts of the cooling strategies. Theoretically, we know that the green roof and cool roof technologies will improve energy efficiency, and permeable pavements will improve drainage of run-off. But exactly how much energy can be saved or how much temperatures can be reduced cannot be determined with models alone, so demonstration projects are important as a source of data to evaluate their effectiveness.
About the Pedagogy
- Has a transcript of the video. Even though video is focused on Chicago, the concepts described pertain to all urban areas.