NOVA scienceNOW, Teachers' Domain
Video length: 2:02 min.Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing 5b
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Video can be coupled with lesson http://serc.carleton.edu/eslabs/cryosphere/6a.html to maximize its learning potential.
About the Science
- Tropical ice cores contain information relating to tropical climate phenomena, including El Niño events and monsoons, which are not archived in ice from polar regions.
- Comments from expert scientist: Addresses basic paleoclimatological concepts. Notes the importance of tropical ice cores. Reviews important paleoclimate proxies, and how proxies are used to estimate past climate characteristics. All together, a very nice resource. Oxygen isotopes are mentioned twice, and both mentions do not clarify that the isotopes can be used only to "estimate" temperature, not "determine" temperature.
About the Pedagogy
- Activities and related resources provided to help students better understand the science.
- Uses a lot of higher-level terminology that may need to be defined.
Related URLs These related sites were noted by our reviewers but have not been reviewed by CLEANhttp://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/profile-thompson.html
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.