Guidelines for Resource Developers interested in submitting resources to the CLEAN iterative peer-review process
Please read the guidelines below before submitting your resource to CLEAN for an iterative peer review.
CLEAN iterative peer- review process
Resources submitted to CLEAN for an iterative review undergo the following process:
- The CLEAN team reviews the resources and provides the reviewer's comments to the developer (2 different reviewers).
- CLEAN editor summarizes the comments and sends them to the developer.
- Developer addresses the comments and the revised resource is considered by the CLEAN review panel.
- Review panel either accepts the resource (go to 7) or provides further comment (go to 5).
- Developer addresses comments and resource is considered by CLEAN Editorial Board (go to 6).
- CLEAN Editorial Board accepts (go to 7) or declines the resource (go to 8) after considering the revision process outlined above.
- Expert science review of the resource is conducted. Developer responds to any concerns of the expert scientist.
- Developer is informed of the decision and accepted resources are cataloged in the collection and developer received the CLEAN Selected logo to put on the resource.
Please consider the following before submission:
- Resource has to be in final format which includes spell checked, link checked, and verification that all pieces are available.
- Resource has to be available online (can be behind a login or on a development page).
- Resource types accepted: (stand-alone) learning activity; (stand-alone) lesson plan; demonstration; experiment; video (less than 10-15 min in length); still image; animation; interactive; simulation. CLEAN does NOT accept modules, background materials, or any resources that are not stand-alone.
- Resource must be targeted towards grade 6-16 students.
- Resource must address one or more of the Climate Literacy Essential Principles or Energy Literacy Principles.
The following list of recommendations for resource quality is derived from the CLEAN review criteria. Please ensure that the resource meets the CLEAN standards where appropriate for the resource type as follows:
- Resource is scientifically up-to-date.
- Resource clearly identifies assumptions and distinguishes between observations/facts and interpretation/hypothesis.
- Resource presents valid/accurate concepts, models, and skills.
- Resource links to the original data sources are provided.
- Where appropriate, references, bibliographies and other supporting material are provided.
- Resource effectively addresses common preconceptions/misconceptions.
- For visualizations: Visualization helps the learner understand core scientific knowledge and processes.
- For video: References are given and/or experts are cited in the video.
- For video: Video avoids scientifically unsubstantiated bias.
- Learning objectives are clearly stated.
- Instructional strategies build toward mastering the learning objectives.
- Resource accommodates different learning styles.
- Resource explicitly addresses the needs of underserved groups.
- Resource is free from material that might interfere with effective use by a wide range of learners (e.g., negative stereotypes or insensitive treatment of sensitive subjects).
- Prerequisite skills and understandings accurately indicated.
- Effective assessment strategies are suggested.
- Resource is engaging and motivating for students.
- Students engage in inquiry, independent thinking, or problem solving through this resource.
- Resource provides a vehicle for asking questions or seeking further information beyond the activity.
- Resource is free of distracting or off-topic advertising.
- Resource is complete in scope and ready for use.
- Resource presents the concept and content clearly.
- Resource provides clear and comprehensive guidance for teachers.
- For classroom activities: All necessary material is available in printable hand-out form.
- For classroom activities: Resource does not require excessive additional instruction or technical support from the teacher.
- For video: The video is of high quality and
has sufficient resolution and clarity.