KQED, Teachers' Domain
Video length is 3:30 min.Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
Challenging for High School - maybe AP classes
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing GPe
4.3 Fossil and bio fuels contain energy captured from sunlight.
4.7 Different sources of energy have different benefits and drawbacks.
Benchmarks for Science Literacy
Learn more about the Benchmarks
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- The webpage associated with this video includes a background essay and discussion questions.
- Resource will require extensive teacher preparation (and knowledge) to be properly introduced to students.
About the Science
- Keasling's approach involves engineering microbes to eat simple sugars found in plant matter and convert them to biofuels that are substitutes for ethanol. Video also explains some of the difficulties of using these techniques and of harvesting plant material feedstocks without having an impact on land use and climate change.
- Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
About the Pedagogy
- Students may find the ideas in this video difficult to understand without some background in microbiology.
- The background essay largely repeats what is in the video itself.
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.