WGBH Educational Foundation, Teachers' Domain
Video length: 5:44 minutes.Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
Benchmarks for Science Literacy
Learn more about the Benchmarks
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Fracking is a controversial political subject. This video may be used to introduce a discussion of the tradeoffs between need for increased energy supply and environmental damage and human health impacts that may result from extraction activities.
- Another discussion point could be the question of confidentiality with respect to intellectual property vs public health.
About the Science
- An animated diagram shows how the process of hydraulic fracturing (fracking) is used to extract natural gas.
- The resource also discusses the health and pollution problems that are potentially associated with the process.
- One of the challenges of investigating the possible link between the contaminants and illness is that the gas industry is not required to disclose which chemicals they use in fracking fluids, as that information is protected by intellectual property rights.
- Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.