George Lisensky, Beloit College
Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
About the Science
- While the basic information about the molecules is important to have in one place, the real value of this resource is the visualization of the atmospheric concentrations of most greenhouse gases over several decades, from several sampling sites. These different charts are presented as individual frames in QuickTime movies, making it easy to move among the different graphs.
- Comment from expert scientist: Good visualization of greenhouse gas molecules. Good illustration of time series of molecule concentrations in atmosphere, including variability among different locations on Earth.
About the Pedagogy
- Because of the interactive nature of the molecular structures (using the interactive web browser applet, Jmol) and movie frames of atmospheric concentrations, students should be stimulated to ask a lot of questions with a little prompting.
- Educators will have to provide background for this resource. Unfortunately, there is no teacher's guide provided.
- This resource engages students in using scientific data.
See other data-rich activities
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- While this webpage is a little dated in appearance, all parts are quite functional and useful.
Related URLs These related sites were noted by our reviewers but have not been reviewed by CLEAN
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.