Ari Daniel Shapiro, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Video length 6:16 minutes.Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing 5b
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Best used in a high school or college oceanography course.
- This resource provides a great answer to the question – what do scientists do?
About the Science
- Video includes animation of ocean current circulation and its interaction with the Greenland ice sheet.
- Comment from expert scientist: The video shows up-to-date information linking dynamics in the North Atlantic Ocean, dynamics in the Greenland ice sheet, seasonal variability, and consequences (sea level rise). It also shows compelling footage and has descriptions of what it takes for scientists to actually obtain relevant data - good personal interest and "process of science" information.
About the Pedagogy
- This resource is focused on the work of physical oceanographer, Fiamma Straneo. It provides sufficient scientific context to understanding what she is doing and why. It is not designed to directly stimulate inquiry or the asking of further questions.
- A good scientist/narrator shows students how science is done and that research is a tough job!
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.