NBC Learn video - Changing Planet, Windows to the Universe
Video length: 6:44 min.Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing 4e
Other materials addressing 5b
Other materials addressing 7b
Benchmarks for Science Literacy
Learn more about the Benchmarks
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Video can be used as a hook to the accompanying learning activity http://www.windows2universe.org/teacher_resources/melting_glaciers.html or for any class on climate change.
- Important to bring the topic of effects of global warming to the local level and not only point out how global warming will affect cultures far away.
- One of the only videos about Mt. Kilimanjaro specifically.
About the Science
- Video addresses impact of melting glaciers, in particular atop Mt. Kilimanjaro, on fresh water supply and the economy of populations at its base.
- The video also addresses the shrinking of the glacier on Mt. Kilimanjaro via melting and sublimation attributed in part to decrease in precipitation in East Africa and Indian Ocean as surface temperatures rise.
- Comment from expert scientist: The included video is good and presents good introductory level information about glaciers and how they are changing.
About the Pedagogy
- Lesson Plan Changing Planet: Melting Glaciers accompanies video on UCAR site- http://www.windows2universe.org/teacher_resources/melting_glaciers.html
- Like other NBC Learn videos in the Changing Planet series, there is a nice mix of footage in the field and interviews with practicing, well-respected scientists.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- High-quality and well-designed video
- Also available on NBC Learn site: http://www.nbclearn.com/portal/site/learn
- Video can be downloaded and embedded.
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.