NBC Learn, Windows to the Universe
Video length: 6:21 min.Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing 5b
Other materials addressing 7a
Benchmarks for Science Literacy
Learn more about the Benchmarks
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- The video can be enlarged to eliminate visual impact of the text and images surrounding the video.
About the Science
- The video documents impacts of thermal expansion and melting of ice sheets and glaciers on coastal communities
- The video also shows the ways that sea level rise is documented. These include the use of sediment core data and satellite data to document rate of sea level rise in the past.
- The video also describes a laboratory model that examines how warming ocean currents reach Antarctica to contributing to the melting of ice sheets.
- References to projected sea level rise in the coming decades is a highly dynamic field. Estimates change as research progresses and teachers need to be aware of this.
- Comments from expert scientist: Includes interviews with two leading scientists in the field and provides visuals of the sources of the data (sediment cores, satellite measurements, physical models, computer models).
About the Pedagogy
- This video can be embedded in a lesson or activity that explores issues of ocean circulation, the melting of continental ice sheets, and how they impact sea level rise.
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.