National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
Video length: 2:47 min.Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
4.1 Humans transfer and transform energy.
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- More information is given at http://www1.eere.energy.gov/geothermal/.
- Because this has a residential focus, teachers should discuss the capital cost of geothermal systems as they are expensive to install (Capital Cost of $20k - $35k) and costs vary depending on location/ease of drilling.
- The video only addresses the lower operating costs of a geothermal heat pump. Cost estimator link: http://www.geosunnrg.com/geothermal-cost-estimator/index.cfm?step1
- For a simple explanation of the different types of geothermal heat pump configurations for residential applications, see the following link: http://geosmartenergy.com/geothermal-energy/how-it-works.html
About the Science
- This video shows how geothermal heat pumps extract clean, reliable, renewable energy using the heat from beneath Earth's surface.
- Such heat pumps can assist in minimizing the amount of energy required for heating or cooling buildings.
- Comments from expert scientist: Very simple scientific video presentation of this remarkable renewable technology that should be used by more people.
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.