Climate Change Impacts on Biodiversity
Convention on Biological Diversity
Video length: 11:08Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
Find more resources on these topics
This Video builds on the following concepts of Climate Literacy.
Click a topic below for supporting information, teaching ideas, and sample activities.
- Strategies of human adaptation to climate change
- Sea level rise and resulting impacts is due to melting ice and thermal expansion and increases the risk
- Effects of climate change on water cycle and freshwater availability
- Increased extreme weather events due to climate change
- Increased acidity of oceans and negative impacts on food chain due to increasing carbon dioxide levels
- Ecosystems on land and in the ocean have been and will continue to be disturbed by climate change
- Human health and well-being will be affected to different degrees from the impacts from climate change
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- To skip the general review of climate change impacts and focus on the biodiversity aspects, go to the 7:00 mark.
- Video is based on 2007 IPCC report and 2007 meeting of the Convention on Biological Diversity. More current information may out-date some of the information presented here.
About the Science
- The video shows many of the impacts of climate change on biodiversity around the world using findings of the 2007 IPCC report and the work of the Convention on Biological Diversity.
Comments from expert scientist:
This video takes the viewer around the world and lists almost all impacts associated with climate change, steps to adapt to climate change and what certain organizations are doing to help. It is extremely informative and factual.
About the Pedagogy
- In addition to impacts of climate change, video shows some of the adaptation strategies undertaken by communities in various countries, in particular those most vulnerable to these impacts - coastal communities in third-world countries.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Nicely organized and filmed.
- Original video at https://www.cbd.int/videos