With enough evidence, even skepticism will thaw
The Washington Post
Video length: 7:03Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
See how this Video supports the Next Generation Science Standards»
High School: 1 Disciplinary Core Idea, 1 Cross Cutting Concept
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- This short video could be used to help students answer the question "How do we know what we know about environmental changes?"
About the Science
- This narrated video follows two scientists to Greenland to investigate changes in the Petermann Ice Shelf, the second-largest ice sheet on the globe, and to search for instrumentation left on the shelf a year earlier that had ceased to relay data.
- Video, accompanying text, still images, and diagrams document changes to the Petermann Ice Shelf observed by these scientists, including the mechanism behind ice sheet deterioration.
Comments from expert scientist:
Excellent video(s) and article explaining the scientific journey of an oceanographer and glaciologist in trying to collect their data from the Petermann Ice Shelf, Greenland.
Temperature data collected underneath the shelf will help determine if warm waters are a bigger threat to the glacier than the rising air temperatures that are driving Petermann’s surface melt.
Second video of Chris Mooney explains how the ice melts.
About the Pedagogy
- A good example of how data is used over short and long periods to provide evidence of global warming.
- Video tells a compelling story of science at work in a remote and challenging environment. The journalist who accompanied the scientists on this expedition shares his perspective as well.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Professionally done, well organized and presented.
- Visual quality is excellent; story is easy to follow and very engaging.