Mann and Ramsdorf on IPCC 2013
Yale Climate Forum
Video length is about 7:56 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
About Teaching Principle 4
Evidence is that human impacts are playing an increasing role in climate change
Other materials addressing 4f
About Teaching Principle 5
Climate models are robust enough to be used for guiding decision and actions as response to climate change
Other materials addressing 5e
About Teaching Principle 6
Global warming is "very likely" caused by human greenhouse gas emission
Other materials addressing 6a
About Teaching Principle 6
Human activities have increased GHG levels and altered global climate patterns
Other materials addressing 6c
About Teaching Principle 7
Sea level rise and resulting impacts is due to melting ice and thermal expansion and increases the risk
Other materials addressing 7a
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- This video would be more suited to environmental studies, political science, media studies or the like.
- Video could be used as a wrap-up, after students have a handle on the science, in order to jump to questions about how confusion on the science has moved into mainstream culture.
- A good video to introduce the effects of increasing global temperatures as well as demonstrating the way science is done - scientists using data, making predictions, and then testing the predictions over time.
About the Science
- The key content of this video is the evolution of the acceptance of climate science.
- Interviews and other clips consider the conservative predictions of the IPCC 5th report, as in a previous report underestimating Arctic sea ice melt; the long-standing views of scientists with predictions as far back as the 1960s, which have come to actuality; and the importance of the science in the report.
- Video content is interdisciplinary and covers science and the history of climate science.
- Points out how older models have been proven to be correct 25 years later.
- Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
About the Pedagogy
- Video would be good for a class looking at global warming, human caused climate change, and how the early predictions of global warming have held up.
- A good review of the history of the IPCC and the findings of the 5th report.
- Covers both science, policy, and public opinion.