Josh Haner, New York Times
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
Slide show appropriate at middle and high school, vocabularies in article must be introduced at high school level.
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- The slide show, article, and graphic provided can easily be used in a unit/lesson on the carbon cycle and climate change, or a geography lesson/unit that includes the Arctic.
About the Science
- Science focuses on the release of methane from decaying organic matter that thaws as the surrounding permafrost thaws, due to rising surface temperatures. Other related effects of thawing permafrost are mentioned as well.
- Comments from expert scientist: This articles conveys an important process in the Arctic in a clear and articulate manner. It is engaging to read and the concepts are well explained. The article interviews relevant scientists in the field and provides links to source material.
About the Pedagogy
- Article is entitled "As Permafrost Thaws, Scientists Study the Risks"; slide show entitled "Hunting for Clues to Global Warming"
- related graphic shows the extent of permafrost in the Northern hemisphere