Drilling Back to the Future: Climate Clues from Ancient Ice on Greenland
Video length 6:15 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
See how this Video supports the Next Generation Science Standards»
Middle School: 3 Disciplinary Core Ideas
High School: 6 Disciplinary Core Ideas
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Several CLEAN resources can accompany this video to supplement it or be used to elaborate on the topic. For example, https://cleanet.org/resources/42848.html
About the Science
- This detailed video describes how ice cores from the Eemian period illuminate what may happen to atmospheric temperatures in the next few hundred years.
- The video shows how scientists use a continuous sampling technique to analyze ice core samples in the field.
- Sophisticated correlations between increasing temperatures and levels of carbon dioxide reveal a historical record that confirms carbon dioxide is causing warming.
- Comments from expert scientist: The scientists interviewed are eminently experts in the field. The video does not provide references as such, but the experts giving comments are definitely of high caliber.
About the Pedagogy
- The web page associated with the video contains important background material.
- Ties in National Guard air pilots - can be used to demonstrate that careers other than scientists can have an impact on science.