Coral Reefs in Hot Water
NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration)
Video length: 2:44 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
This Video builds on the following concepts of Climate Literacy.
Click a topic below for supporting information, teaching ideas, and sample activities.
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Basic overview of coral bleaching supported by downloadable fact sheets on coral bleaching.
- Its most powerful message is within its data graphics of coral bleaching locations around the globe.
About the Science
- Concise, to-the-point, general overview to coral bleaching.
- Global graphics that show scale of bleaching throughout the oceans is powerful.
- Short video shows relationship between warmer oceans and coral reef health and heat stress.
- Comments from expert scientist: This is not an activity, but it is a very well-put together visualization about coral bleaching. The mapping is wonderful.
- This video pre-dates the coral bleaching events of 2016, but the concept remains the same. An update on recent coral bleaching as of 2016 is here: http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/analyses_guidance/global_coral_bleaching_2014-17_status.php.
About the Pedagogy
- Knowing what coral bleaching is prior to watching video might be helpful as video only gives a brief, concise definition.
- Background fact sheets are provided as well as downloadable video webinar.
- There are display options to show video in other museums or informal science centers.
- Video and supporting materials could potentially comprise an entire unit for an educator.
- A short transcript goes along with the video.