Southern Ocean Sentinels
Video length: 8:04 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
See how this Video supports the Next Generation Science Standards»
Middle School: 6 Disciplinary Core Ideas
High School: 5 Disciplinary Core Ideas
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- This could be used in a lesson on climate change, oceanography, marine science, ecology, and chemistry.
- Ocean acidification, while not directly impacting the climate system, is the result of the oceans soaking up much of the CO2 emitted into the atmosphere, resulting in a potentially catastrophic impact on the ocean ecosystem.
About the Science
- The video discusses two indicators of global change effects on the Southern Ocean: 1. Changes in Antarctic bottom water and 2: ocean acidification and its effect on pteropod shells.
- Details how tiny plankton and massive ocean currents hold clues to how rapidly the Southern Ocean is changing.
- Additionally the video discusses how the pteropods may provide an early warning of climate "tipping points" to come.
- The video discusses the link between global climate and the potential changes in the formation of Antarctic bottom water, as well as ocean chemistry.
- Comments from expert scientist: As for the scientific strengths, it is very clear and well explained. From the field to the lab, to outlining results from the study, the story is easy to understand. This is also actual science and a "hot" topic in marine science (ocean acidification in the Arctic Ocean and its impact on Limacina helicina). This is interesting material and relevant to CLEAN.
About the Pedagogy
- The narrator asks focused questions in the video, and a transcript is provided for students to read.
- This video explicitly discusses how our understanding of the climate system is improved through observations and data collection, as how these in turn help to inform predictive models.
- A written transcript of the video is provided.