Video length: 3:22 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- This contains very basic information. It could be a good introduction for middle school students or a good refresher for 9th graders who need clarification on the definitions of weather and climate.
About the Science
- While weather and climate are connected, they are driven by different processes and are studied using different strategies.
- Climate is the average weather conditions over a long period of time. There are six major climate zones across the globe. Climate is a factor that helps people determine where to live.
- Weather is the day-to-day conditions of the conditions of Earth's atmosphere. Severe weather events cause billions of dollars in damages to infrastructure. Weather forecasts allow humans to prepare for severe weather events.
- Meteorologists and scientists use advanced tools to research the atmosphere. These tools include computer models, radar, and satellites.
- Comments from expert scientist: Clear articulation of the difference between climate and weather.
- The point is well made that Earth has different climate zones but within each zone the conditions are highly variable.
About the Pedagogy
- This is a good video to show when teaching about the differences between weather and climate.