Changing Planet: Withering Crops
NBC News Learn
Video length: 5:50 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
Find more resources on these topics
This Video builds on the following concepts of Climate Literacy.
Click a topic below for supporting information, teaching ideas, and sample activities.
- Climate change affects national security
- Strategies of human adaptation to climate change
- Life affects climate; climate affects life
- Effects of climate change on water cycle and freshwater availability
- Human health and well-being will be affected to different degrees from the impacts from climate change
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Note: you will need to scroll down the Changing Planet video page to get to this video.
- See Windows to the Universe lesson plan here http://www.windows2universe.org/earth/changing_planet/withering_crops_intro.html for a hands-on activity that reinforces the video.
About the Science
- Video addresses impact of increasing global temperatures and resulting decline in soil moisture on viability of grain crops that provide the primary global food supply.
- Brief segment of video illustrates mechanism by which plant leaves take in CO2 and expire water and how drought conditions stress that mechanism.
- Comment from expert scientist: This activity has addressed very important issues of potential impacts of heat and water stress in plant growth.
About the Pedagogy
- See related lesson plan, Changing Planet: Withering Crops - Stressing Over Lost Water http://www.windows2universe.org/teacher_resources/withering_crops_activity.html. You will need to be a member of NESTA or pay a minimal fee to access a pdf version of the activity.