Ocean Tipping Point?
Video length: 13:40 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
See how this Video supports the Next Generation Science Standards»
Middle School: 8 Disciplinary Core Ideas
High School: 7 Disciplinary Core Ideas
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- This video helps to explain and demonstrate tipping points and the relationship between ocean and atmospheric temperatures.
- Runs into another video and an ad at 11:17.
About the Science
- The impacts of climate change on the ocean temperature currents and chemistry are described by Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute scientists.
- Comments from expert scientist: The video is from 2009, so it needs substantial updates. It is a simple resource that lacks depth, and should only be used for younger (middle school) students.
About the Pedagogy
- Excellent visuals, interviews with scientists.
- Features a female scientist prominently.
- Contains an effective demonstration-type experiment on the absorption of heat by ice and the tipping point phenomena.