Humans & Energy - Earth: The Operators' Manual
Geoff Haines-Stiles Productions, Earth: The Operators' Manual
Video length: 4:32 min.Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
This Video builds on the following concepts of Energy Literacy.
Click a topic below for supporting information, teaching ideas, and sample activities.
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- This is one segment in a series on energy.
- It could be useful for introducing/illustrating population and energy demand issues.
- Also see: http://earththeoperatorsmanual.com/for_educators
About the Science
- This segment focuses on a Brazilian family living off the grid (like 1.5 billion world-wide).
- Focus is on how rapidly-urbanizing China needs more energy to foster development.
- Includes a population/energy use chart comparing different regions of Earth.
- Comments from expert scientist: Excellent overview of human impact on energy across the globe. Teacher tips and suggested activities are also strong.
About the Pedagogy
- A good introduction to global energy challenges that can help set the stage for classroom discussions and activities, particularly the needs of the developing world where energy access and equity are a substantial challenge.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Easily accessed and can be downloaded by educators who register at the ETOM website.
- Video is closed captioned.
Entered the Collection: November 2014 Last Reviewed: November 2014