CLEAN Interactive Webinars for Secondary Level Educators
Climate varies over space and time
December 15, 2011
by Tamara Shapiro Ledley, Scientist, TERC, Cambridge, MA
and Elizabeth Youngman, Educator
Slides from webinar are here: Climate is Variable slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 5.7MB Jan3 12) We are sorry to say that the recording of this webinar is not functional.
Note: This webinar has already taken place.
Jump down to: Related Resources
Goal -To explore mechanisms of long term climate change, and identify resources from the CLEAN collection that teachers can use to help students understand how those mechanisms impact climate over the long term.
Time - 4-6 pm Pacific | 5-7 pm Mountain | 6-8 pm Central | 7-9 pm Eastern
Duration - 2 hours
Format - Blackboard Collaborate platform and teleconference line
Registration - (Note: Registration is now closed) There is no registration fee, but registration is required to save a space. Because space is limited to 15, please be sure you can commit before registering. Registration closes when the spaces fill or one week before the webinar, whichever comes first.
Contact - For questions contact Marian Grogan at TERC (marian_grogan AT terc.edu)
About the Speakers:
Dr.Ledley is a senior scientist and chair of the Center for Science Teaching and Learning at TERC. She also leads the Earth Exploration Toolbook and EarthLabs projects, which are developing climate change curriculum materials.Her research has focused on understanding the mechanisms of climate change, specifically examining the impact of the cryosphere on atmosphere-surface energy exchange and how that shapes climate.
Ms. Youngmanis an education consultant and curriculum writer, with 25 years of experience teaching AP Environmental Science, Physical Science and Oceanography to students in grades 7-12. While a teacher, through the Teachers Experiencing Antarctica and the Arctic (TEA) program, Betsy participated in two climate change research expeditions to Summit, Greenland and the South Pole, Antarctica.
- View the webinar presentation slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 5.7MB Jan3 12)
- Learn more about Climate Principle 4: Climate varies over space and time through both natural and man-made processes.
- See teaching activities related to teaching this concept.
Links for Webinar Presentation (CLEAN Catalogue Pages)
- Climate History & the Cryosphere (4e)
- The Little Ice Age: Understanding Climate and Climate Change (4e)
- Milankovitch Cycles (interactive) (1c and 1d)
- Secrets of the Sediments (4d)
- Tree Rings, Climate Change and the Rainy Season (video) (4e)
- Tree Rings: Counting the Years of Global Warming (video) (4e)
- Variations in carbon dioxide concentrations in Earth's atmosphere (4e)
- A Warming World (4c)