Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing 5b
Benchmarks for Science Literacy
Learn more about the Benchmarks
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Educators have the option of giving the raw data to student groups and having them plot and analyze the resulting graphs.
- User must search using the publication titles separate from the resource to find original dataset source. There are no direct links to the articles.
- Global annual anomaly maps for temperature variables are available in the 2009 Climate report to accompany this graphic and enhance background. This report, however, is not written for general public understanding on the topic.
About the Science
- Tropospheric temperature anomalies from seven different datasets over a fifty-year period.
- This collection from the American Meteorological Society 2009 State of the Climate Report allows students to investigate each data set individually and then collectively from 1958 - 2009.
- Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
About the Pedagogy
- Students will appreciate how trends in the data are found by combining and averaging data from different investigators.
- Graphic provides students with the ability to investigate each of the seven datasets individually.
- Supporting publications for the data are referenced but not downloadable for convenience. The 2009 Climate report offers other visual aids that educator could potentially pair with this data for deeper understanding.
- This resource engages students in using scientific data.
See other data-rich activities
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Graphic is a desktop visual aid and does provide instructions on zooming and panning.
Related URLs These related sites were noted by our reviewers but have not been reviewed by CLEANhttp://cpo.noaa.gov/warmingworld/air_temperature_over_land.html; http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/bams-state-of-the-climate/2009-time-series/; http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/bams-sotc/2009/bams-sotc-2009-chapter2-global-climate-lo-rez.pdf#page=8
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.