National Research Council, The National Academies
Video length: 5:05 min.Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing 4f
Other materials addressing 6c
7.4 Fossil fuel supplies are limited.
Energy affects quality of life .
4.3 Fossil and bio fuels contain energy captured from sunlight.
Various sources of energy are used to power human activities .
Benchmarks for Science Literacy
Learn more about the Benchmarks
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Video could be paused from time to time during viewing for further explanation and questions; it is too dense to show all at once.
About the Science
- This video documents how human activities are affecting global temperatures.
- A good treatment of greenhouse gases, climate forcing agents, and feedback loops in climate change.
- The unit "watt" is used incorrectly in this video. A watt is a unit of power, not energy. Energy is measured in Joules, and can be expressed as a watt multiplied by a unit of time (ex. a kilowatt-hour is a unit of energy, a kilowatt is a unit of power).
- Comments from expert scientist: Good overview of the science with no major errors.
About the Pedagogy
- A lot of information is packed into the video - teacher will need to unpack terms and concepts that are presented rather quickly.
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.