Jonathan Corum, New York Times
Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing 2d
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Use with National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) website for much more extensive information on permafrost.
About the Science
- This polar map shows the extent of permafrost in the Northern Hemisphere as well as the sea ice extent in September 2011.
- Map units are percent area of permanently frozen ground.
- Comments from expert scientist: Visually very pleasing. Requires further context. It is suggested to combine this resource with others to give a fuller picture.
About the Pedagogy
- Polar view maps are always useful in countering the distortions of the common US-centric maps.
- Brief text, illustrations, and photos of scientists help make the importance of permafrost clearer and more interesting to those in more southern latitudes.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Since this graphic comes from the New York Times, there are some commercial elements on this webpage. The map and graphical elements of this webpage can be downloaded from a web browser. Photos of scientists appear on a different page, which has ads for movies in the sidebar.
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.