Jack Cook, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing 2d
Other materials addressing 3e
Other materials addressing 4g
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- This interactive would be best used in an oceanography course.
- Educators may wish to relate this interactive to ocean acidification or the long-term carbon cycle.
- Have students explore the interactions among the different depths.
- Resource could be printed and hung in the classroom as a reference for students
About the Science
- This interactive provides a simple way to understand how carbon moves into ocean depths (i.e., the ocean biological pump).
- One thing missing from this interactive image is a sense of how much carbon moves among these depths.
- Background information is lacking for educators to understand each process in detail.
- Comments from expert scientist: The material is easy to understand and well presented. The information is well summarized.
About the Pedagogy
- Students can determine the forms of carbon at each depth using the simple drawings of plankton and particles in the two keys.
- Arrows and pop-up explanations make it clear how carbon moves among the different depths.
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.