U.S. Department of Energy
Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing Hum
4.1 Humans transfer and transform energy.
Various sources of energy are used to power human activities .
Benchmarks for Science Literacy
Learn more about the Benchmarks
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- The animation includes geothermal maps, publications, glossary, and a printable text version of animation.
- Animation is useful as an introduction.
- Animation could be used as an assessment - ask students what info is missing in this resource.
About the Science
- Fundamental science and engineering concepts are alluded to broadly in the animation without details. Seismic imaging, for example, is mentioned but not explained. The vast heat energy available deep in Earth is a key point, but there is no explanation given about how that heat is generated. Some additional guidance from educator is necessary.
- Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
About the Pedagogy
- There is a lot of jargon used related to geothermal energy. Supporting materials are offered from the glossary and text version of how enhanced geothermal systems work.
- Maps and other multimedia also provided.
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.