NBC Learn, UCAR
Video length: 6:47 min.Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing 2c
Other materials addressing 5b
Other materials addressing 6c
Other materials addressing 6e
Other materials addressing Hum
Other materials addressing 7e
Other materials addressing Cli
7.3 Environmental quality.
Energy affects quality of life .
2.6 Greenhouse gases affect energy flow.
Physical processes on Earth are the result of energy flow .
Benchmarks for Science Literacy
Learn more about the Benchmarks
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Use in a carbon cycle or climate change science unit.
- Great for a middle school geography unit.
- A related lesson plan is available: http://www.windows2universe.org/teacher_resources/permafrost_gas_leak.html
About the Science
- The video reviews the impacts of warming temperatures on the thawing of permafrost in the Arctic with potential release of the greenhouse gas methane. In addition, thawing permafrost damages the infrastructure of communities and facilities at high latitudes.
- Comments from expert scientist: A straightforward video that outlines main concepts and impacts on the Arctic. Lacks references.
About the Pedagogy
- There is a lesson for grades 5-9 that accompanies the video.
- This video is content-rich with excellent visuals.
- Engaging video - things explode
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Quality of video itself is good. There is slight graininess when viewed at full-screen.
- The video can be embedded.
- Ads are very distracting on edges of page - may want to consider this when displaying it to the class.
Related URLs These related sites were noted by our reviewers but have not been reviewed by CLEANhttp://www.windows2universe.org/earth/changing_planet/permafrost_methane_intro.html
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.