Darcy Dugan, NOAA Sea Grant, Alaska COSEE and other partners
Video length: 5:55 min.Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing 4a
Other materials addressing 4b
Other materials addressing 7e
Benchmarks for Science Literacy
Learn more about the Benchmarks
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- This video is best used in conjunction with: 1) Faces of Climate – Life on the Ice http://vimeo.com/19583516 2) Faces of Climate – Disappearing Ice http://vimeo.com/19583956
- Some of the content is repeated in later videos, so educators may want to focus on the latter two videos since this one is more an introduction.
About the Science
- This video provides a human dimension to changes being observed in the region over seasonal and longer term time scales. Rates of change in the Arctic vs. other places is well described.
- Nice overview of weather vs. climate.
- Comments from expert scientist: Humanizes climate change; tells a story to a certain extent. Good overview of "life on the ice."
About the Pedagogy
- Video is intro to two subsequent Faces of Climate Change videos: Life on the Ice and Disappearing Sea Ice.
- Good graphics and narration (Native Alaskans are interviewed).
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.