Discuss this Resource»
Learn more about Teaching Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness»
About Teaching Climate Literacy
Other materials addressing 4e
Other materials addressing 5b
Notes From Our Reviewers
The CLEAN collection is hand-picked and rigorously reviewed for scientific accuracy and classroom effectiveness.
Read what our review team had to say about this resource below or learn more about
how CLEAN reviews teaching materials
Teaching Tips | Science | Pedagogy |
- Great to use in a geography lesson as well as science lessons.
- Original photographs are available on the NSIDC website: http://nsidc.org/data/glacier_photo/index.html
About the Science
- The Background Essay gives a nice overview of causes and effects of glacial retreat.
- The effect on the immediate environment, once glaciers recede, is readily apparent. Receding glaciers leave telltale signs of their presence in the landscape. With the ice gone, glaciated terrain may be characterized by an eroded valley bed and debris piles, ripe for colonization by pioneer plant species.
- Comments from expert scientist: The background essay excels in explaining many basic and important concepts. In order to understand why glaciers respond to climate changes the concept of mass balance is crucial, and the explanation is straightforward and clear. Could be updated with more recent images.
About the Pedagogy
- Easy to see the changes over time.
- Images pairs are supported by an essay and multiple links to other resources both print and media.
Have you used these materials with your students? Do you have insights to share with other educators about their use? Please share with the community by adding a comment below.
Please use this space only for discussion about teaching with these particular materials.
For more general discussion about teaching climate literacy please use our general discussion boards.
To report a problem or direct a comment to the CLEAN project team please use our feedback form (or the feedback link at the bottom of every page).
Off-topic posts will be deleted.